Apr 24, 2008
"The Big One" and Take Five
My random pic for the day is of a corner in my apartment. The last three apartments I have lived in my city have come equippped with a fire extinguisher. I am not sure why this seems to be a standard. The apartment I live in now doesn't have a smoke alarm but it has a fire extinguisher! Perhaps it is because everyone is waiting for "The Big One" to happen. Most of Honshu Island experiences earthquakes and the experts try to predict when the next big one is to occur. Everyone in my city believes the next Oki (big) earthquake will happen soon. How soon ranges from 3 to 10 years depending on who I talk to or what I read.
The last earthquake in this city was in 2005, registering 7.2. The epicenter was off-shore, triggering Tsunami warnings and still causing power outages and buildings to collapse on land.
On that day, I had just sat down to order at a restaurant when the noise and shaking began. This restaurant was on the top floor of the hotel - 15th floor- surrounded by floor to ceiling windows. Our building shook violently and swung from side to side. Looking out the windows, I could see other tall buildings doing the same. The earthquake seemed to go on and on, and I started to wonder if it was "The Big One" and whether this building would hold up. Most of us had moved away from the windows and were standing against an inner wall. I kept looking up to see if the ceiling was going to fall. I probably should have been under a table! We were all quiet except for one waitress. She kept walking back and forth in front of us with dishes in her hands, saying "Iyada, Iyada," which is literally "Terrible, Terrible." In memory, it is a very surreal moment.
....Let's Take Five ...
Stoney Charms tagged me to do this MEME (each answer and each category is five words in length) Alright, so my answers are more or less than five, but I do have five categories*)- Thanks Stoney!
Five years ago I was...
1. living in Japan
2. younger and thinner!
3. wondering if I should bring my cat to Japan from Mexico (which I eventually did)
4. studying Japanese with students from Korea, China, Mexico, Russia and Singapore
5. not blogging or selling on Etsy
Five snacks I enjoy!
2. my homemade corn tortilla chips and salsa
3. raw almonds
4. Japanese rice crackers
If I was a billionaire I would....
1. buy a lovely house in Southern France
2. buy a lovely house in Italy
3. buy a lovely house for my my Sister and Mom
4. buy my dream car: Volvo c30
5. donate a bit to a charity
Some Jobs I have had....
1. Esl Teacher
2. Vocational Counselor
3. Yogurt shop clerk (part-time as a university student)
4. Gardener (part-time as a university student)
5. Supervisor for a non-profit organization
Different Places I have lived....
1. Central part of Honshu Island in Japan
2. Hokkaido, Japan
3. Northern part of Honshu Island in Japan
4. Northern part of Mexico
5. Central California
My next post will include the five I have tagged!
Posted by Gallery Juana