Skip to main content

Japanese School Boys

Junior High School and High School can be stressful for most students here. Entrance into High School and University are based on Exam scores. Getting into the right school at this young age can determine whether the student gets into the right University which could then have an impact on their success in their chosen career. That's alot to think about for a 14 year old. Junior high school is 3 years (12-15 years old). And High School is 3 years (15 to 18). Preparation for the High School entrance exam begins no later than the second year of junior high school.

Most students attend a Juku (cram school) after their regular school classes. Juku's help the student who is falling behind to catch up. On the flip side, students who aren't behind in school can go further in their learning at juku. In addition to cram school, their time may be divided between school extra-curricular activities, music lessons and English lessons, and homework from the juku and school.

Performance in school is so important, that if the Working Parent (usually the Father) is transferred to another city or overseas, most Mothers and children hesitate to relocate. Mothers and children may also avoid going on the family vacation during the entrance exam preparation period.

Maybe these Japanese students are heading to Starbucks to refuel?

Japanese School Boys

My husband and I were on the 5th floor sitting in a restaurant and waiting for our lunch. Our table was near the window, and we were people watching. I had my camera in hand and caught this shadow shot. The zig zag white line is the reflection from the building's windows. I am guessing that these boys are probably about 14 or 15 years old.

Visit Hey Harriet's blog for more interesting photos and shadows.

Comments

Sylvia K said…
Marvelous shadow shot! It's so sharp and clear and the reflection of the windows just adds to the shot!

Have a great weekend!
Chubby Chieque said…
I missed the school kids wearing uniforms. Here in Europe, they don't use uniforms.

I grew up wearing uniform until I finished my college. This really make me proud that I went to school.

Anyways, your shot is really cool! So, sunny there, eh? Rainy here!

Hugs on SSS
I love the reflection from the windows. It does add to the shot.
I knew that there was pressure on these kids for a high degree of education, but I had no idea how much they actually went through.

Thanks for your insight, knowledge, and the great photo.
What a great shot. Always interesting reading your blog..Happy SSS.
Fascinating reading! We see many Chinese and Japanese families arrive in Calgary...many are relieved to have escaped the rigors of the education system! Fantastic shadows BTW! :)
Marlene said…
The shadows and the reflection from the window are superb making that one great photo.
What a wonderful bright shadow shot! I bet they are enjoying their break!
A Wild Thing said…
What a cool shot, they almost look like they are walking on the side of the building, interesting angle...hope lunch was yummy!
PJ said…
Whew, I feel exhausted just reading about the pressure they're under.
That's a really cool effect from the window and I hope they got the fuel they needed for the rest of the day.
Hey Harriet said…
So much to think about for those kids. A lot of pressure for ones so young! Love the student shadows! I thought maybe the zig zag white line was the trail of coffee steam coming from starbucks and the kids were following the aroma :)
Jacqui said…
What wonderful image. It made me think they were walking on a graph - maybe measuring their performance? It certainly added meaning to your interesting post.
Dorte said…
Very interesting post and the shadow shot is just great :-)
Have a nice week
GalleryJuana said…
Thanks everyone for visiting!

I have enjoyed reading your interpretations of that graph-like reflection.

Richie, I wore a uniform for most of my education, except for University.
whizkid said…
excellent shot! the whiff of white adds so much to the picture :)

...i used to wear a uniform in school too.
Sarah said…
I like your shot but feel very sorry for the students!
Raven said…
What a cool shot! Sounds like these kids have to grow up very early.
Poetic Artist said…
Love the shadow shots.. Yes I think it is a very hard time for all students. Yet they are just beginning their journey.
Katelen
Jan Mader said…
What an amazing photo!

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such kind words about Kelly.

I think fate is already stepping in...I've met nice people like you who are temendously creative in addition to being wise.

Please stop by again....Jan
Dianne said…
the white line adds to the shot!
great shot
Catherine said…
These shadows are great and I love the aeriel perspective...
Chris Stone said…
great shot. the zig zag line almost makes it look like a statistic. Some kind of commentary on the kids spending so much time answering other people's questions.

Popular posts from this blog

bird watching and staying home for the summer

Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. fledgling House Finch  Chestnut- backed Chickadee Dark-Eyed Oregon Junco Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. View my art blog here: https://www.juanaalmaguer.com I have my art works available here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/galleryjuana

Blue-eyed Siamese Cat flies to Japan

Today was filled with my art and time with Sputnik. She was bathing herself which gave me the chance to catch a photo of her. I actually adopted Sputnik as a kitten in 1998 when I was living in Mexico. She made the long trip with me to Japan on July 25, 2004. It took me about 6 months to plan the logistics of bringing her from Mexico to Japan. Since I had to fly via the U.S. on Mexicana Airlines and Korean Airlines, that meant 4 countries and two airlines would need to approve her transport. There were many details to keep track of for each country and airline. After 6 months of stressful planning, 16 hours of two airline flights and layovers, She made it to Japan safely! Korean Air allowed her to fly with me as my carry-on luggage, which was a relief for me. No worrying about whether she was scared or left at the Los Angeles airport! I didn't give her any tranquilizer to sedate her. Yet, she was quiet the entire flight and went unnoticed by other passengers. I h

Cat Drawing, Sunday Sketches

Sputnik, February 05, 2011, pencil on paper While Sputnik was getting ready to curl up on her bed, I drew this quick sketch of her. To view more sketches, hop over to Sophia's blog .