Skip to main content

Water and taking the bus in Mexico

As the house hadn’t been occupied for a while, we spent our first week doing a thorough cleaning of the house. It wasn’t until the sixth day that we checked the main water tank. At that point, we realized the city water had not been running so the main tank was very low, leaving us with about three days left of water in the reserve tank. The count down had begun: three days to get more water before we were completely out.


On the seventh day, we continued to double-check every reason why the main tank was not filling. It was strange to not have city water running. We checked that the equipment was working. No problem there. My husband remembered there were pipes that ran along the outside of our house. He went out to follow the pipes and spotted a meter and valve on the front side of our house. He turned on the valve and the meter started to work as well. He came back in the house and heard the main tank filling with water. Hurray, that was the city water for our house! Perhaps because the tanks were full when we moved in and because it had been empty, the owner had shut it off. Phew .... the water shortage scare was over.


bus stop in Mexico


Last Friday, we went out to a huge, westernized shopping mall and theater that is accessible by city bus. We caught the local bus in Centro (downtown). It was a real adventure. Buses arrive every few minutes and stop anywhere along the designated bus zone. That means, as soon as you see your bus, you need to diplomatically and quickly move your way through the crowd to reach your bus. Then once more, you must hold your place in line to get on the bus while every one is trying to get on the same bus from several lines. Everyone is courteous and patient. The situation reminded me of a the food conveyor belts where all the bits of food are merging from one big, unorganized group into one organized line. It all somehow just works.

Comments

Anya said…
I hope you like it in Mexico :-)
It looks all great !!!
Are the people also nice there ....
(@^.^@)
Marlene said…
Interesting picture - I don't know if I could learn to be adventurous in a strange place. Glad you have water though.
Was away from blogging for awhile..Trouble with the thyroid and was quite serious..okay now.
When the heck did you end up in Mexico? I missed out on so much..I may not be on the blog, but never forget you..
Merry Christmas..
Kathleen said…
Sounds like you are getting settled in your new home - glad that you found out about the water =p ack! Love the story of the bus - hehe, I would be so lost *rolls eyes* oh, my!
Poetic Artist said…
Sounds like new adventures in Mexico..So are you adjusting and getting the creative spirit?
Tracy said…
Hi, Juana! It is wonderful to here/see impressions of your new life in Mexico! Glad you're getting settled in and with the folks there. Thank you so much for the lovely holiday greeting at my place. Looking forward to more friendship and fun in the New Year! :o) Happy Holidays ((HUGS))
Chris Stone said…
lol. i did that once. a friend of mine and i stayed at my grandmother's old house in a rural part of Tennessee. One thing we wanted to do, and did, was thoroughly clean the place before cooking dinner. well. we ran out of water before dinner! there was only a small pump from a small spring. lol. well. it was an adventure!

Popular posts from this blog

bird watching and staying home for the summer

Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. fledgling House Finch  Chestnut- backed Chickadee Dark-Eyed Oregon Junco Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. View my art blog here: https://www.juanaalmaguer.com I have my art works available here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/galleryjuana

Blue-eyed Siamese Cat flies to Japan

Today was filled with my art and time with Sputnik. She was bathing herself which gave me the chance to catch a photo of her. I actually adopted Sputnik as a kitten in 1998 when I was living in Mexico. She made the long trip with me to Japan on July 25, 2004. It took me about 6 months to plan the logistics of bringing her from Mexico to Japan. Since I had to fly via the U.S. on Mexicana Airlines and Korean Airlines, that meant 4 countries and two airlines would need to approve her transport. There were many details to keep track of for each country and airline. After 6 months of stressful planning, 16 hours of two airline flights and layovers, She made it to Japan safely! Korean Air allowed her to fly with me as my carry-on luggage, which was a relief for me. No worrying about whether she was scared or left at the Los Angeles airport! I didn't give her any tranquilizer to sedate her. Yet, she was quiet the entire flight and went unnoticed by other passengers. I h

Cat Drawing, Sunday Sketches

Sputnik, February 05, 2011, pencil on paper While Sputnik was getting ready to curl up on her bed, I drew this quick sketch of her. To view more sketches, hop over to Sophia's blog .