Custom Search

Jan 7, 2011

365 - painting a day

Constellation II,  collage on paper
That is my 2011 new year resolution:  start and finish one art piece a day.   Only 7 days into the new year and I'm doing well so far.

Some things I've learned have surprised me.  

1.  Even though I had been doing art most days in 2010, I hadn't been finishing something everyday.

2.  By day 6, I was totally exhausted!  Finishing a piece everyday has been a workout both mentally and physically.

3.  I get to dance in my "studio" more often to songs on my pandora ... hee hee.

4.  I am learning to let the little things go (like putting my pen on a dollop of paint and making a complete mess of my hands and pen or having a line not be clean and thin).  I seem to be jumping over those frustrations more quickly.

5.  I can multi-task well except when it comes to my art projects.  I tend to be consumed by one project and completely forget about the others.  So on Tuesday when I was on the treadmill at the gym, I voiced my shock out loud.  Luckily, no one was near me to hear my craziness.   I realized that I had completely forgotten about my exhibition on March 3rd!   I need to finish one more painting for that exhibition.

6.  Yesterday, I sat at my art table exhausted and without motivation or a trace of creativity in my bones. I decided to work small and complete an aceo.  I started out by adding washes of watercolor, then paper ... and with each step, I began to get a direction for the painting.  When I was finished, I learned that beginning is what counts most.

3 comments:

Poetic Artist said...

Wow you are going to be in the studio a lot..Or work small..LOL.
I can not even find the time to walk into my studio. Or I want make the time.
I always love your drawings.

Marlene said...

Great piece, you are very ambitious to try and finish a piece of art a day. I know that I would not be able to do that.

phOtOalicE said...

Love your work !
one piece of art a day???!!!
wOOooOOw.
you're great.
bye :)
Alice

Related Posts with Thumbnails