Custom Search

Apr 10, 2011

cat painting - sunday sketches

Pangur Bán III
Pangur Bán III by Gallery Juana


Earlier I posted about my latest series, Pangur Bán. Above is my latest in that series.

My neighbor has a beautiful, grey, tom cat. Our front and back yards are part of his territory, so he often makes himself at home in our yard. He was the inspiration for Pangur Bán III. I started out with green-tinted sumi ink and watercolor for the first layer and added layers of acrylic, black sumi ink, pencil and watercolor to bring it up to a grey hue with subtle differences of color.  I drew his collar with watercolor pencil.

As a side note, when I was living in Japan, I purchased a variety of  sumi ink in different hues: black, brown, blue, green.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.  I'll be around to visit shortly.

Visit Sophia's blog for more Sunday Sketches blog hopping.

18 comments:

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

...he is so beautiful!

Wanda's Wings said...

I just love cats.

Sophia said...

ohhh......just LOVEeeeee the eyes. :) Nice job! Hugs

lissa said...

he's very commanding with the eyes.

hope your day is sweet.

Julia Christie said...

I think he looks very regal! Great job.

Smiles

Pop Art Minis said...

Wonderful work...love it!

Heather said...

what a handsome cat. i like the inks you used. He has great eyes, too....very deep...just like a cat! have a great evening!

Helen said...

Cats can be so hard to do and you have done this so well.

Tammie said...

this is fantastic,
i love the way you have used color to create your neighbor ;-}

Christine said...

he looks very aristocratic.

Kristin Dudish said...

I love those golden eyes! Did I miss #2? I'm glad you weren't more seriously hurt on your bike!

(I love zumba too!)

xo
Kristin

Teri C said...

Very striking and powerful-looking.

Missy said...

Very cool, lovely cat painting. I love gray cats.

Deanna said...

Great job! I love how his eyes kind of glow.

Tracy said...

Such wonderful detail and expression, Juana! He really "speaks!" And I like the graphic designs he's floating on--almost like a shirt collar! Happy Day ((HUGS))

EVA said...

He is so handsome! Reminds me of my Russian Blue cat, Yuri.

Well done!

Rosebud Collection said...

Beautiful job..I use to have a Russian Blue cat..as well as a Maine Coon, at one time..Cats are fun, but very independent..The Maine Coon Cat we had, didn't know he was a cat..haha..thought he was human..What a fun time they were..xooxRosebud.

Gallery Juana said...

Thank you for your lovely comments and visits!

Rosebud, cats are a hoot aren't they!

Related Posts with Thumbnails