Skip to main content

Black Friday Hike and Shadows

Black Friday is the Friday after the Thursday Thanksgiving in the U.S. and means crowds out shopping to nab the big sales.

We skipped all of that and headed up to the local man-made lake to hike the trails that meander through the foothills.  It was a gorgeous day and we spent 3 hours out there.  Can you spot our shadows in the first photo?

at the top of a vista point
Getting to the vista point, meant going off trail as we couldn't find the trail that lead up to it.   We also had to go off trail again after leaving in order to meet up with our original trail.

off the trail
off the trail
Nature had many colors!

tree fungal
something fungal on a tree trunk


I took this time-lapse 360 when we were at the top of the vista.  From Summer to Winter, the foothills are blanketed with dry, tall grass and oak trees.  The river runs through this area and ends at the Dam with the lake.  **  video has music



More shadow shots at Hey Harriet's blog.


Comments

Ralph said…
I too avoid Black Friday, and not just due being in a wheelchair with the (possibly) violent crowds. It's just that after a nice peaceful family Thanksgiving, staying home is just more relaxing...Your views are stunning, the hillside a respite from the maddening shoppers. I saw you twice: in the picture and as you flailed your arms in the video. A nice view of the land - and post!
Sarah said…
Veyr wise to avaoid all those crowds. I never go to sales-can't be bothered with those crowds. So much better to be out in the hilss taking lovely photos for us all to enjoy!
Catherine said…
what a beautiful place to hike.....
colleen said…
Love the hint of hikers in the corner. I had a black friday pottery sale at my house, complete with shadows.
From that vista point, you can see miles and miles!

SHADOWY DELIGHT

Shadows above me, shadows below,
Shadows beside me, wherever I go;

Shadows each morning, shadows at night—
Shadows, O shadows, you’re my delight!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Ants, Shadows, Sunflower

Popular posts from this blog

bird watching and staying home for the summer

Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. fledgling House Finch  Chestnut- backed Chickadee Dark-Eyed Oregon Junco Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. View my art blog here: https://www.juanaalmaguer.com I have my art works available here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/galleryjuana

Cat Drawing, Sunday Sketches

Sputnik, February 05, 2011, pencil on paper While Sputnik was getting ready to curl up on her bed, I drew this quick sketch of her. To view more sketches, hop over to Sophia's blog .

Waiting, A Tunic and The Japan Post Office

I love shopping at Etsy. I usually buy handmade soap and lotion, but recently I bought a handmade tunic from India. It arrived on April 7, but I was taking a nap so I didn't hear the doorbell. I am not sure how it works in other countries, but in Japan, the postal worker leaves a card with details about your package and a telephone number to call for re-delivery. I called the 24 hour automated hotline and rescheduled the delivery for April 9th, between 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. This week's shadow shot is of the envelope and tag that the post office added for the redelivery. The red kanji-chinese characters say "afternoon." By the way, I am in love with the tunic ! The cotton material and embroidered design are beautiful. Shadow Shot Sunday is hosted by Hey Harriet . Visit her blog for more shadow shots.