Skip to main content

Collage Techniques and Inspiration

I started experimenting with collage several years ago, but hadn't really focused on collage until recently. I enjoy collaging for the change of pace and the new perspective that it gives me. I have some flexibility when doing my figure paintings on rice paper with mixed media, but the act of painting is more visual than it is tactile. Collage provides a release of tension; painting feeds it.

Recently, I got stuck on what to do next on a wip collage, so I went searching the internet for blogs that could offer inspiration and instruction. Here is what I found:

Julie has culled the internet resulting in this Collage ClearingHouse blog . She provides articles with pictures and links to other collage sites on the web. It is a good place to start for inspiration.

Neda K. Doany provides an excellent tutorial on how to do a collage at Papiers Colles. Her mixed media collages will also inspire you.

Runaway Moon is another blog with great works by the artist which will definitely inspire the viewer. The artist, C, really pushes the limits in this particular collage piece.

Have you ever wondered how to add sewing to a paper collage? Julie has put together a wonderful tutorial about sewing on paper by hand or with a sewing machine at The Adventures of Bluegirl.

Comments

Elis Cooke said…
Hi Juana
Thanks so much for the great links to other collage artists! Your blog is a lovely intermingling of art& poetry. So glad to have found you through you finding me lol! namaste Elis.
Juana, thank you for your lovely description of my blog. I do appreciate your effort in trying to find inspirational art sites. I have a few listed, if you want to check them (you can email me anytime). I am going to visit your other"discoveries" in a bit.

I also want to tell you that your own blog is enchanting and that I have learned so much from you. I will visit often! Thank you again!
Cathy M. Woo said…
Hi Juana,
Thanks for contacting me. I really enjoyed reading your blog and have linked it to my site.

Congratulations on your wonderful work and sensitive comments.

Being an artist is quite wonderful. Wishing you lots of time to work and much success getting your paintings out in the world.
Cathy Woo
GalleryJuana said…
Thank you Elis, Neda and Cathy for your very kind comments! I truly enjoyed visiting your blogs and will be back to visit often.

Juana
Just a note to let you know you are now listed on mu blog link. Keep up the wonderful work :)
GalleryJuana said…
Thanks Neda for the link. I have added yours to my side bar as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Cat Drawing, Sunday Sketches

Sputnik, February 05, 2011, pencil on paper While Sputnik was getting ready to curl up on her bed, I drew this quick sketch of her. To view more sketches, hop over to Sophia's blog .

bird watching and staying home for the summer

Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. fledgling House Finch  Chestnut- backed Chickadee Dark-Eyed Oregon Junco Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. View my art blog here: https://www.juanaalmaguer.com I have my art works available here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/galleryjuana

Blue-eyed Siamese Cat flies to Japan

Today was filled with my art and time with Sputnik. She was bathing herself which gave me the chance to catch a photo of her. I actually adopted Sputnik as a kitten in 1998 when I was living in Mexico. She made the long trip with me to Japan on July 25, 2004. It took me about 6 months to plan the logistics of bringing her from Mexico to Japan. Since I had to fly via the U.S. on Mexicana Airlines and Korean Airlines, that meant 4 countries and two airlines would need to approve her transport. There were many details to keep track of for each country and airline. After 6 months of stressful planning, 16 hours of two airline flights and layovers, She made it to Japan safely! Korean Air allowed her to fly with me as my carry-on luggage, which was a relief for me. No worrying about whether she was scared or left at the Los Angeles airport! I didn't give her any tranquilizer to sedate her. Yet, she was quiet the entire flight and went unnoticed by other passengers. I h