Skip to main content

Obon Dancer

Obon Dancer: Japanese fabric
Support: gessoed watercolor paper (140lb) and acrylic
2.5 x 3.5 inches


This aceo is a continuance of my Japanese Women series.

The U. S. A. just finished Halloween, and Dia de los Muertos just passed in Mexico on November 2nd. August is the month that Japanese families honor and remember their ancestors. They do this by visiting the Family Grave as well as through gathering for the Bon Odori (Bon Dance). The song and music for the celebration varies from region to region. Although the Bon Odori is now synonymous with summer, its origin is in Buddhism. The dancing shows gratitude and appreciation toward one’s ancestors and the sacrifices that were made. Colorful yukatas (simple kimonos) are worn by both women and men. Everyone dances in unison around a high stage. The experience is both mesmerising and
exhilarating .

Comments

Bobbie said…
Juana, I absolutely love this artwork! The kimono materials, the colors, the shape. All is poetry!
Nora said…
I just visited your shop on etsy and took a look at your blog. Why am I just noticing your artwork!! Beautiful Juana really stunning work!
GalleryJuana said…
Thank you Bobbie. I am off to see what new mandalas you have at your site.

Thank You Nora. I am amazed at how the internet connects us in some way or another. I will be by your site shortly too.
This is adorable. May all your days be joyful...and I hope you get this comment
Anneke said…
i have visit your shop and you made such beautiful artwork.
my compliments.
also thank you for visiting my blog

Popular posts from this blog

bird watching and staying home for the summer

Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. fledgling House Finch  Chestnut- backed Chickadee Dark-Eyed Oregon Junco Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. View my art blog here: https://www.juanaalmaguer.com I have my art works available here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/galleryjuana

Cat Drawing, Sunday Sketches

Sputnik, February 05, 2011, pencil on paper While Sputnik was getting ready to curl up on her bed, I drew this quick sketch of her. To view more sketches, hop over to Sophia's blog .

Married Shadows

My husband and I haven't had a T.V. for the last 15 years, maybe more, so we often go to see movies at the Cinema. The last couple of ones that I've enjoyed have been Transformers II and Terminator IV. Two more of my favorites are Slumdog Millionare and Milk. These latter two were well done movies from all angles (acting, script, cinematography). This is us after an afternoon at the movies and eating out. We had just come from Starbucks and were heading to the train station. For more shadow shots and to learn how to join this Meme, please visit Hey Harriet's blog .