Skip to main content

Xmas in Japan

Christmas decorations in and outside stores went up in Sendai around late November. Even one of the English schools where I work is playing Xmas music this year.

In Japan, beginning in mid-December, you can view the huge and expansive"Christmas Illuminations". In my city, all the trees on a particular street are blanketed with white lights. Couples and families walk amongst the trees in awe of the illumination. Others avoid the area at all costs due to the crowds.
Christmas Eve is most popular for dates. Most popular things to do with your date: view the Christmas Illumination then have a Special candlelit Christmas Dinner at a fancy restaurant (average price is $100 per person).



Christmas Cake and fried chicken or roasted chicken are also popular for those who want to spend it at home with friends. Fried chicken? I wonder how the fried chicken tradition started? You can expect to spend at least $30 for a whole xmas cake.
My husband and I usually have dinner out at a reasonably priced restaurant on Christmas Eve.
Last year we ate at a Thai restarant for dinner. We both had to work that day too. This year we have it off together. We are planning a hike in the morning and then a buffet lunch at our favorite Japanese Buffet restaurant.
On Christmas day, I leave from Tokyo for Home! I am looking forward to spending two weeks with my family.

Comments

Steffi said…
Very beautiful christmnas decoration in Japan!My daughter was in october in Japan too!
I wish you Merry christmas!
Anonymous said…
I think you can see Japan from space with all the christmas lights this time of year. Gotta love the fluffy cake, too!

~Lauren
http://antigenre.etsy.com
http://antigenre.wordpress.com
Anonymous said…
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.
GalleryJuana said…
Thanks everyone for stopping by.

Popular posts from this blog

bird watching and staying home for the summer

Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. fledgling House Finch  Chestnut- backed Chickadee Dark-Eyed Oregon Junco Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. View my art blog here: https://www.juanaalmaguer.com I have my art works available here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/galleryjuana

Cat Drawing, Sunday Sketches

Sputnik, February 05, 2011, pencil on paper While Sputnik was getting ready to curl up on her bed, I drew this quick sketch of her. To view more sketches, hop over to Sophia's blog .

Married Shadows

My husband and I haven't had a T.V. for the last 15 years, maybe more, so we often go to see movies at the Cinema. The last couple of ones that I've enjoyed have been Transformers II and Terminator IV. Two more of my favorites are Slumdog Millionare and Milk. These latter two were well done movies from all angles (acting, script, cinematography). This is us after an afternoon at the movies and eating out. We had just come from Starbucks and were heading to the train station. For more shadow shots and to learn how to join this Meme, please visit Hey Harriet's blog .