Skip to main content

solar eclipse 2017

white chairs

It was a magical day! I wasn't sure where would be the best spot to view the solar eclipse, so I hopped on my bicycle and rode into town. I live in a small town and I am amazed each day by this community. When I arrived at the grassy area that overlooks Saratoga passage, I saw that the town council had set up a long line of chairs for viewers. I parked my bicycle on the lawn and sat down next to a mother and her baby. She remarked what a treat to find all these chairs. And I said, "I feel like I'm at a wedding with all these white chairs. Oh hey, the sun and the moon are getting married!"


solar eclipse inside the cereal box




me and my cereal box viewer, my bicycle too


Within 10 minutes, more and more people arrived. None of us knew each other, but we all became aquatinted quite quickly. I didn't have solar glasses but I had made a cereal box pinhole viewer per. instructions from NASA. It was a kick to see this work! The mother and her friend both had solar glasses and shared them with me and five other people.  So I got to view the solar eclipse that way too.

fog over Saratoga Passage and the marina

The passage was foggy but the sky cleared up at some point.


cascade avenue overlooking marina and Saratoga passage
Once the total solar eclipse occurred, I was starting to get cold.  I also wanted to get some shadow effects shots so I left on my bicycle to head out to the forest.

solar eclipse shadows outside the library

On the way out of town, passing the library, I saw these solar eclipse shadows.  When I arrived at the forest trails, there weren't any solar shadows to find.  I sat down on a log and wrote some notes.  The lighting was quite beautiful.


sitting on a log and writing notes

view my art blog here http://GalleryJuana.com.

Comments

Sheila said…
Thanks for sharing Juana, looks like you had an awesome day :) Love the photo of the fog :) And the shadows :)

Popular posts from this blog

bird watching and staying home for the summer

Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. fledgling House Finch  Chestnut- backed Chickadee Dark-Eyed Oregon Junco Usually summer means several bicycle-camping trips, but with COVID19 still around, we are staying home. In the meantime, I have been pretty productive with my 100 Self Portraits project. Watching the birds that come to the bird feeders has been my daily dose of joy. View my art blog here: https://www.juanaalmaguer.com I have my art works available here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/galleryjuana

Blue-eyed Siamese Cat flies to Japan

Today was filled with my art and time with Sputnik. She was bathing herself which gave me the chance to catch a photo of her. I actually adopted Sputnik as a kitten in 1998 when I was living in Mexico. She made the long trip with me to Japan on July 25, 2004. It took me about 6 months to plan the logistics of bringing her from Mexico to Japan. Since I had to fly via the U.S. on Mexicana Airlines and Korean Airlines, that meant 4 countries and two airlines would need to approve her transport. There were many details to keep track of for each country and airline. After 6 months of stressful planning, 16 hours of two airline flights and layovers, She made it to Japan safely! Korean Air allowed her to fly with me as my carry-on luggage, which was a relief for me. No worrying about whether she was scared or left at the Los Angeles airport! I didn't give her any tranquilizer to sedate her. Yet, she was quiet the entire flight and went unnoticed by other passengers. I h

Cat Drawing, Sunday Sketches

Sputnik, February 05, 2011, pencil on paper While Sputnik was getting ready to curl up on her bed, I drew this quick sketch of her. To view more sketches, hop over to Sophia's blog .